Okeana & Shandon History & Heritage

Okeana, Ohio and Shandon, Ohio are rich with history and heritage. The Governor Bebb Pioneer Village and Covered Bridge appeals to nature lovers, history buffs, outdoor recreation enthusiasts and more. Shandon, Ohio is Ohio's first Welsh settlement, so this charming community is filled with history!

MTHS

1858 Morgan Township House

6464 Okeana Drewersburg Rd. Okeana OH 45053 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone: (513) 738-0845

The Morgan Township Historical Society Museum features exhibits relating to the development of Morgan Township and the surrounding area. Tours are available by appointment by calling 513-738-0845....[more]

Deacon Hugh Williams House

Deacon Hugh Williams House

4722 Cincinnati Brookville Road Shandon OH 45013 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone:

Now a private residence, the Decon Hugh Williams House is a prominent part of Shandon history. Morgan and Elizabeth Gwilym sold the site to Hugh Williams on October 20, 1842, and this home was built...[more]

General Store and More

General Store & More

4751 Cincinnati Brookville Rd Shandon OH 45064 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone: (513) 738-1881

Shandon General Store and More is the former home of A. R. Robinson's General Store. In November 1905 construction began on this building for Alexander and Ellen Robinson. The country store was...[more]

brethren church

German United Brethren Church

4652 Cincinnati Brookville Road Shandon OH 45013 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone:

This building, located on now private residence, was erected in 1886 on land donated by John B. and Emily Hauser Walther. United Brethren services had been held at Hickory Chapel, then at the...[more]

Bebb Cabin

Governor Bebb MetroPark

1979 Bebb Park Ln. Okeana OH 45053 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone: (513) 867-5835

The smell of fresh air and a bit of historical flavor are just a few of the ingredients that bring a touch of nostalgia to this preserve. The Governor Bebb Preserve features a historical pioneer...[more]

IOOF Hall

Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall

3693 Scott St. Shandon OH 45013 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone: (513) 738-0845

The Grand Lodge of Ohio instituted Shandon Lodge #916 on October 22, 1910, for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Members met elsewhere until this lodge hall was constructed in 1921. In 1940, the...[more]

New London Cemetery

New London Cemetery

5195 Alert New London Road Shandon OH 45063 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone: (513) 738-4444

The cemetery was organized in 1866 with burials starting in 1867. The cemetery has a total of 16.5 acres with over 2,000 burials. Many of the first burials were disinterred from the Paddy's Run...[more]

paddy's run marker

New London School Yard & Paddy's Run Historical Marker

Cincinnati Brookville Road Shandon OH 45063 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone:

Three acres were purchased in 1871 and a four-room brick schoolhouse was constructed. It was used as a school through 1939. During the years of 1931-1939, Ross High School was located here. The...[more]

Okeana Methodist Church

Okeana United Methodist Church

6481 Okeana Drewsburg Rd Okeana OH 45053 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone:

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Okeana purchased land on July 26, 1904, to build a new sanctuary. It was completed in 1908 at a cost of about $7,000. Of special beauty are the large tinted glass...[more]

Old Aloysius Church

Old St. Aloysius Church

4825 Cincinnati Brookville Rd. Shandon OH 45063 Location: Okeana/Shandon Phone: (513) 738-1014

Archbishop John B. Purcell purchased the land on February 21, 1868 for $600. In June 1868 he blessed a small frame building as a temporary chapel. A brick building replaced the frame building in 1878...[more]