Looking for fun things to do in this winter month? February in Butler County is full of fun events, activities, and things to do. Our February calendar is packed with new art exhibits, performances, a train show and more! Whether you're looking for date night ideas, family activities, weekend events or a way to celebrate February holidays— you're bound to find something that suits what you need. Check out our list for the top events for February fun.
This exhibit will be on display from February 1st to March 1st at EnterTrainment Junction. This month-long extravaganza is an indoor celebration of the world's most famous tank engine including Thomas wooden train layouts, Thomas HO scale electric train display, videos, Thomas & Friends scavenger hunts, crafts and even a Thomas indoor train ride. What better way to spend a weekend with your little Thomas fans?
This exhibition began at the end of January and will extend through the entire month of February. The show is a community collaboration between Miami University and the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma, displaying the beautiful and intricate ribbon work of the Miami people. The exhibit shows off the intricate geometric patterns of layering silk materials. The process of Ribbonwork is a very deliberate and intricate process, so each piece in the show is unique. Stop by this month and enjoy the exhibit for free with friends and family.
Photo Credit : Miami University Art Museum
The Sorg Opera House in Downtown Middletown puts on a number of shows each month. A theatre staple in the community, this building has been bringing musical performances and theatre shows to Butler County since 1891, and this month there are a few different shows to choose from—
- The Menus — The Menus have made it their mission not to let any audience member leave without experiencing the dancing, laughing, and entertainment of a lifetime.
- The Belairs — This Las Vegas-style show is complete with costumes, choreography and rock-n-roll favorites from the 50s & 60s.
- The Mastersons — A magic show packed full of new age illusions, highly trained rescue animals, ridiculous stunts, breath-taking escapes, audience participation, and just the right amount of comedic relief.
Photo Credit : Sorg Opera House
Visit the Fitton Center for Creative Arts to check out this free exhibit, Shifty! This exhibition starts on February 1st and will go through the end of March. This interactive gallery will be fun for the whole family, or make the perfect date night, with large abstract pieces inviting you to walk through abstract spaces and interwoven walls.
5. Mardi Gras Celebrations
This year Mardi Gras falls on Tuesday, February 25th! Historically Mardi Gras has been celebrated in New Orleans, but celebrations for the holiday can be found all throughout the U.S. — including Butler County!
- Hot Magnolias: Mardi Gras Night — A slice of New Orleans is making it's way to the Fitton Center! The Creole-inspired band, Hot Magnolias, will be taking the stage to lead a Mardi Gras party.
- Central Pastry's Paczki — This Middletown bakery serves the most delicious, authentic paczkis throughout February to help celebrate Fat Tuesday... grab one before they're gone!
The Fairfield Community Arts Center puts on a fresh, reinvented take of the classic You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. Join all your favorites— Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, Schroeder, and Snoopy— for this show starting on February 21st through March 1st, showing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Buy your tickets here.
Photo Credit : Fairfield Community Arts Center
7. Valentine's Day Celebrations
What February is known best for... Valentine's Day! Whether you're spending the day with family, a loved one, or you're making it a Galentine's Day with friends, Butler County has events and activities for however you want to spend your holiday.
- DIY Valentine's Day Unicorn Cake — On February 11th, take the kids (ages 8—16) to go create their own five-inch, triple-layered unicorn cake!
- Sip & Shop — Spend Valentine's Day Eve with your girls for Galentine's Day Girls Night Out! Enjoy discounts, tasty treats, drinks and lots to shop with Sara's House, Wildfire & Made to Love.
- Beer Mine — Enjoy a night out for Valentine's Day featuring good beer, food from Patriot Grill, live music and a special release of a new Grainworks brew.
- Galentine's Day — Grab a ticket and head to the Living Room at the Liberty Center for a Friends inspired celebration with sweets, drinks, salon bar and reruns of your favorite Friends episodes.
Photo Credit : Molly's Cupcakes, Liberty Center